Tuesday, July 26, 2011

a season of rain

In the spiritual life, they say that it’s not how many times you fall that counts but how many times you rise up again. Although it sounds very enticing, it’s actually a difficult thing to follow. I mean, if I’ll count the number of times I fell, it’s much easier to think about the disappointments and the desolation it brings rather than reflecting on how I can rebuild what I destroyed.

But having gone through all my downs and failures, with its setbacks and frustrations, I couldn’t be more honest to say that there’s no better thing to do than to stand up, right whatever wrong was done, and accept that it was just another season of darkness in one’s life that needs to be overcome. To put it simply, rising up again is definitely better than giving up to darkness.

It has been a continuous source of relief for me that I can still do something as long as I breathe--that a struggle, however pathetic it may seem, is still a sign of life. From my sinfulness to my freezed and failed works for God, I can’t say I haven’t appreciated that speck of light waking up once again offers.

The key is to just keep doing what God asks you to do the best that you can however the devils trick you into thinking nothing's happening. There have been a lot of times in my struggles when it seems that everything I was doing didn't make sense and helped no one. I couldn’t be more surprised to hear about people who’ve been inspired or revived by the works I could never take credit for given my situation at that time. Although I couldn’t quite comprehend how the efforts given did what it did, it’s a miracle from God that those struggles beared much fruit. What seemed to be a dying toil was used by God to do His work!

I still have a lot of battles to fight. A heck of a lot of battles. But even if I’ve been dilly-dallying most of the time in the past, I certainly still hold bits of life in me. And whatever God wants me to do with it, I pray that I’ll have the courage to capture what God wants me to grasp.

I’m constantly working on my "resurrection", but every day is a start for me. These toils, however delayed or lame, are always welcome breathes of life. They're my reminders that I can draw strength from Jesus--from His crucifixion, resurrection and ascension--when I’m pushed to the corner.

Service to others for God doesn't really help others as much as it helps me. The miracles God make humble me but also remind me that every thing is possible with Him. So even the struggles will end in His time, if only I hold firmly and keep my faith, hope and love in Him.

Don’t be dismayed when life seems to be constantly giving you dung! Christianity isn’t about peaches and cream, but about life and living it to the fullest despite the hardships life offers! There’s no other way to live other than to live the way Jesus lived. He is, after all, the Way, the Truth and the Life. Believe me, you’ll be surprised how fulfilling all of those struggles are if you’ll only live it rather than escape it!

We are in a season of darkness. John Paul II calls it the culture of death. We all have our difficulties and struggles. But just as darkness is followed by rain, ours will, too. It is that rain of grace that will wash away all our fears and disbelief. Let’s not lose hope just because we can’t seem to see the light Jesus has to offer. Let us, like the father in Mark 9:24, pray “I believe, help my unbelief!” and learn from Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment