Tuesday, July 26, 2011

no knife stabbing involved // 2011.07.26

Click here to read this day's Bible readings.

Raising a child is difficult and requires a lot of patience. When my son was growing up, there were definitely more than a thousand times that I almost took a knife and stabbed him to death. He'd do something way off and I'd discipline him, only to find him doing it again. He'd throw food, punch people and talk back to me (sometimes with curses). But I love my son and knew he was still in the process of growing up. As always, God teaches us the way.

Scripture tells us that God is "slow to anger and rich in kindness... forgiving wickedness and crime and sin". The saints said it. God said it. We shouldn't have any reasons to doubt it. If you do, read the story of Moses again and recall how hard the hearts of the Israelites were and how infinitely patient God was with them.

Saint Paul tells us that "all have sinned and fall short of God's glory", but we are also assured today that we have a merciful God who looks at our hearts and not our past. We have a God of Mercy and Love who will do everything to keep us in His embrace, knowing that it is only in Him that we will find fulfillment. Let us hold on to that promise.

But be warned too that Scripture also tells us that He doesn't "declare the guilty guiltless". We have a God of Mercy and Love, but He is also a God of Justice. To those whose hearts are not willing to change, God cannot force Himself. If it is darkness and pain that we seek, than God has no choice but to give it to them.

I love my son and stuck with him. I knew at that time he'll continue to give me a headache, but my job as a father was to help him grow. Giving up was definitely the last option, and I knew I wouldn't do that unless my son disowned me and ran away somewhere I couldn't find him.

Are you feeling that God couldn't possibly love you? Have faith, you have a loving God!

No comments:

Post a Comment