Sunday, July 31, 2011

it's not what you have but who you are // 2011.07.31

Click here to read this day's Bible readings.

Most of the studies or surveys made by consumer magazines or by analysts say that we are consuming more of "this and that" than we did before -- that we are making use of something more than we ought to. A TV set is almost considered a basic need by most people. Quite simply, the "if you don't have this or that, you're nothing" attitude is slowly settling in our midst without most of us even noticing it. It sure is causing a lot of craze, but we're all somewhat taking it lightly.

One of the reasons why most people find it hard to believe or realize how much God loves them is the way our world teaches us that one is measured by what one has or what one can give. The words "the more you have the more you're loved" are not so hard to hear these days. Is this how much our God really loves us?

I don't know about you but if someone died for me, I sure won't doubt that person's love for me. But the funny thing is that there was a long length of time when I knew someone who died for me, and I treated Him just like another person I pass by along the streets. And I guess it's because I've heard it so many times since I was young that I took it lightly. But when I heard someone asked me what I would do if a person died while saving me from drowning, things got different. Hello... Jesus died for you... don't just stand there and say duh!

If you feel enthralled by the idea of someone dying for you by the sea, the more enthralled should you be to realize that Jesus died not only for your life here on earth but moreover for your eternal life on the cross - and at a time you were ignoring Him, even hurting Him. Hey, He loves you so much He gave His life for you. And you weren't even asking Him to do that for you. What else can you do but love Him as well with your whole heart.

Tomorrow's Monday. Things usually start that day. I picture most people planning for the whole week either that day or this day. What am I gonna do? What am I gonna buy? To what will I waste my money and time this week? Where am I gonna throw my life to?

I don't know what most of you will answer to those questions, but I sure hope and pray that you'll be giving your life to the person who asked His Apostles to give the people something to eat when He saw that they were in need. I beg you get what God gives for free...His unconditional love.

No comments:

Post a Comment