Saturday, November 3, 2018

not destined for road rage // 2018.11.03

Image result for road rage
The longing to be first is quite evident with my children even at their young age. They'd fight over who sits at the front of the car, who gets to pick from the choices first, or even who finishes a chore first (whether or not they actually like the chore).

As a grown up, I won't pretend to not have those tendencies anymore. From time to time, I'd secretly want the best cut of that steak or roast pig, eat the part of the cake with the most icing, or want all the cars in front of me to go away when I'm driving (whether or not I'm in an emergency).

The longing to put ourselves first seems to be our natural tendency. But Jesus warns us about this attitude, and asks us to choose the lowest place, or to put others first. I can even imagine Him asking us to do that without resentment in our hearts. Impossible, right?! Or is it?

When Jesus asks us to put others first, He isn't asking us to join pity parties, but rather calling us to unconditional love -- to receive to the fullest His gift of charity. When we realize how His humility on the cross brought about His glory in the resurrection, than we see how empty it is to do things merely for ourselves. It is then that we learn what love truly is.

No comments:

Post a Comment